So you want to go on a vacation without taking out a second mortgage on your home? Believe it or not, it is possible according to Steve Farzam from The Shoe Hotel. However, it is going to require some flexibility on your part. Here are some of the best ways to find deals when traveling.
1. Be flexible with your dates. Of course, the most expensive time to travel is around holidays and on the weekends. Keep this in mind when planning your vacation. If you can afford it, then sure book the beach house on the Fourth of July. However, if you are trying to save some money then you must go into this knowing you probably will not get the most ideal date. With that said, you will still be able to find a decent date where you ca enjoy time with your family and friends. If you can take work off during the week and your kids can miss school, then this will be your best bet. Rates during the week are much cheaper than the weekend. You can find some excellent deals in some hotels you thought you would never be able to afford if you start working with your dates a little more.
2. Go in the off season. If you do not mind traveling in the off season, you can save a boat load of money. For instance, going to the beach in the fall or winter is a great deal cheaper than the summer or spring break. Sure, you might not have as much fun, but you are still spending time with your family and friends. Also, you will find that the beach is much less crowded and it really allows you to have more of a connection with your loved ones says Steve Farzam.
3. Shop around. This is easier said than done, but it is one of the easies ways to find deals. There are so many different hotel deals sites out there, it can be tough. However, if you devote a few hours to shopping around for different prices, you will be surprised at what you can find.
4. Settle for less. If you know that XYZ hotel cost $200 more a night because it is on the beach and ABC hotel is 2 miles away but half the price, then you should consider ABC hotel due to the price difference says Mr. Farzam in most cases. Sure, it might be nice staying on the beach, but so is all of the money you will be saving. You will have to make some sacrifices if you truly want to travel on a budget.
5. Cook your own food. You will be tempted to eat out every night, but you will notice that taking the whole family out for steak every night will start to add up. That is why you should cook your own food while on vacation. You can stock up when you get there and be set for the whole week. You will be surprised at the amount of money you will end up saving by doing this. These are the tips Steve Farzam has to share with everyone.